Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Release Date set for "Ranch House On A Hill" Friday 22nd January 2016

Great news today - my debut single "Ranch House On A Hill" is set for release on Friday 22nd January.

It's pretty chilled, with funky but laid back electronic beats.  It's been released before the other planned single "Today Is All" as there's a few things to sort out with that yet - so this is a one off independent release. I think it suits this time of year well though - it's got a good vibe for January.

It's a song I started writing in the mid-noughties and then picked up one night and finished it in 2010.  I'd completely forgotten about it until I was moving house and found an old song lyrics folder with all my guitar songs.  As soon as I heard the song again, in my head, I just had an idea for this trip hip / electro beat and went to work on it and within a couple of days I'd finished it.  There's no guitar in this though - it's pretty different from the original acoustic version.

The lyrics are a twisting story of lost love and there's 2 x references to Joni Mitchell songs within them.  One person plays the role of the 'Free Man In Paris'; the musician travelling the world, making his own rules and having many good and bad experiences on the way and the other plays the role of the character in her song 'The Hissing Of Summer Lawns'; a woman who has found a rich man and she has a beautiful house but she is locked away and she watches the people in the valley having parties whilst she sits alone on her expensive furniture.  The song is playing on those two characters from each song and taking the idea a bit further.





No comments:

Post a Comment