Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Story Behind IG-ID

IG-ID (meaning Instagram-Identity) came about because of my Web Sheldon Instagram account.

Last January, I had a plan to increase my audience to 10k Followers by the end of the year and I was trying to do it in a way that represented both my music and my personality/beliefs.

At one point, I was posting 6 pictures a day so it took up a lot of time to come up with the content to sustain that.

The posts ranged from taking pictures of my everyday life, song lyrics or music videos (usually my own), selfies, or reposts from other accounts which were usually funny memes, inspirational quotes or something supporting my political/spiritual beliefs.  I was searching for pictures to take/repost so often that it started to make me think about whether I was still being representative of who I *actually* was on my Instagram account or whether it was who I *wanted* to be.

When I listen to a musician, I want to feel like I really know and understand them – I want to feel that connection.  For that reason, it’s really important for me to stay authentic on my Instagram account.

We can’t feel 100% every day – that is a given.  Sometimes when I was feeling down, I would post some inspirational quote to try and elevate my mood (and hopefully encourage others feeling the same). This created a conflict and made me question if I was still being me... “losing fingerprints, erase/redefine, justify your spin on your sound life”. And for anyone else looking at my account – was it even helpful?  If they felt down, did seeing someone else post something inspirational make them feel better and give them hope or did it just make them feel worse because they could see everyone else posting super-positive messages when inside they still felt like shit.

This made me think of the idea for the song IG-ID of there being a kind of split personality between someone’s real self and their online self and to analyse what the gap was for me and my own social media accounts.

Take a listen to the song here:




IG-ID is released via Particle Zoo Recordings.

And if you'd like to buy or stream it further, you can go to Apple Music, Amazon, BeatportJuno DownloadTraxsource or Spotify.


No comments:

Post a Comment