Monday, February 16, 2015

Live Review - Nambucca Launch Night

Kazzey + Lewis Olden + Web Sheldon + BonesThe Librarians + The Carnations at Nambucca Launch Party, Sat 14th Feb 2015.

If there's one thing I *won't* be doing the night before a gig again, that is going out on a drinking session - of any size or variety. Although in fairness, the Friday night drinks were meant to be 'just one or two'.  Famous last words.  By the time Saturday night I arrived, I was still feeling pret-ty delicate.

Kazzey @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.
Luckily for me, we had a gentle start to the night with the soothing voice and free spirited indie pop of Kazzey.  His songs had catchy melodies, interesting chord structures and some memorable hooks too.  In particular I remember the song with the line 'so so so so so cute' because the chords in that part had me hooked, and then a song where he would stop playing and talk for a second - I like random stuff like this! He's recording his debut single at the moment and planning on a string of single releases going forward.  A website is on its way soon too, but in the mean time you can follow him on his Soundcloud and Twitter accounts.








Lewis Olden @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.
Lewis Olden was the next man up with his distinct swaggering singing style, stories about every day life and his quick paced acoustic accompaniment. I particularly enjoyed his song with the line 'freedom is never free'.  I'm trying to listen to his Soundcloud account at the moment to find the song name but the Starbucks internet is not being my friend.  You can check out all his songs online here though on his Soundcloud account or follow him on Twitter.









Web Sheldon @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.
Next up was me (Web Sheldon). I started off with a song from last autumn called P's & Q's - it's not a song that will be on my EP but it usually goes down well live and I thought this indie-side of my electro would fit in well for this night.  The rest of the set was all songs from the EP including the trip-hop/dub/turkish influenced 'Purple Steeple', about my love of life in the city.

If you liked my set, go and be a fan of my Facebook music page - and help me boost my likes to 1,000 before the end of the year! ;-)






Bones @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.
Bones @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.




















I grew up on rock and female singers.  And even though I don't listen to quite so much rock nowadays, Bones completely blew me away.  For 3 people, the sound was massive, hard hitting, and the kind of stage presence where you stop 'watching' and find yourself just enjoying the experience with the band.  One thing I'd already noted during the gig was how together they sounded - in terms of the written parts they were playing and how they performed and bounced off one another. I found out afterwards it was the drummer's first gig with them.  I would have had no idea.  If you get chance to see them live, DOIT. Next London gig: Friday 20th February at The Monarch. They also have a couple of songs up on Soundcloud: Bones (UK).

The Librarians followed on from Bones.  I was listening to a Soundcloud playlist of the bands in the week leading up to the gig and one of their tracks 'The Ballad Of Carl' had been spinning around my head on repeat, so I was hoping that hearing it live might get it out of my head! Unfortunately not. lol I'm not complaining really though, I love that song!  It reminds me of the kind of vibe I felt when listening to The Libertines' first album, and the lead singer's voice (Thomas) fits well with this style.

The Librarians @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.


What I found interesting about their set was how percussive lead the music was - lots of drums driving the songs and being a prominent feature - I liked this element of The Librarians and it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

The Librarians @ Nambucca. Loving the smoke machine!















The headlining act was awesome London 4 piece band The Carnations.  The floor filled up quickly as these guys took to the stage.  For anyone who likes some good old fashioned rock 'n roll, you can't go wrong here.  Their music has got a very 60's vibe to it; they know what they're doing and they do it well. The crowd were loving it too; jumping, dancing and happily posing for drunken shots for the photographer.  Have a listen to their Soundcloud page here, close your eyes, and imagine you're listening to the radio in 1969 ;-) Next gig: The Dublin Castle on 21st February.

The Carnations @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.

The Carnations (through dancing arms!) @ Nambucca. 14th Feb 2015.




















































That's all from me... my next gig is on Wednesday this week (18th Feb) at Roadtrip & The Workhouse in Hoxton.  I'm be continuing my 'Birthday Covers' thang by covering a Yoko Ono song for her 82nd birthday... See you there!

http://www.websheldon.com


No comments:

Post a Comment