Thursday, May 21, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Famous Blue Raincoat (Manchester, April 2012)



Ok I'm borrowing the term 'Throwback Thursday' for this post...




A special time for me was the Summer of 2012.

Leading up to that period, I'd made a couple of bad decisions in terms of career direction and had also got myself into quite a destructive long term relationship.  The change started when I'd got a new job and I'd moved to Manchester into this studio apartment bang in the city centre (near Piccadilly station if you know it).

I hadn't even realised at the time how much of a dark place I had gotten myself into until things started to change.  I hadn't been trying to 'clear any clouds', because I didn't know there were any clouds to clear.  But naturally, things suddenly started to change; I became healthier, more confident, my creativity was soaring.  I found the courage to end the destructive relationship I was in and my life changed massively from that point.

Whilst all this was happening, I remember sitting down one night and just feeling a huge sense of relief because for first time in 18 months, things just 'felt right'; I didn't have to fight, or rush or worry - I felt like I was responsible for my own destiny again and I had control back over my life.

I set up my mic and recorded a cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Famous Blue Raincoat' and I love to watch the video because it takes me back to all the feelings I was having back then.


No comments:

Post a Comment