Monday, August 3, 2009

Ableton has a Strop

Something went wrong with Ableton Live this weekend... (that's the programme I use to record...) Like any issue revolving around computers, it wasn't solved quickly... and there may have been a few choice words said in the process... The issue was that Abelton wasn't recognising my external sound card so after much fiddling around and searching internet forums, un-installs, re-installs, I finally got it working. But by that point, I certainly wasn't feeling creative anymore - I felt like I'd just got back from work!

That's the thing with recording on computers, the're amazing what they can do, but they can completely kill the creative mood if something goes wrong with them... It's not like simply pressing play on an 8 track... But having used both, I'd use a computer every time! I love the way you can play around with stuff, manipulate it, add effects, sample things...it's amazing...

On Sunday I recorded an old song called "9th May 1998", I wrote it on that date too (all those years ago lol) It's only a short one and it's a bit silly - it's talking about a guy I like and how he's fucking me around, so I'm imagining all the different ways I could kill him...

Anyway...!

It feels good to be recording. Re-living old experiences and songs, and writing new songs again...

I hope I never lose inspiration to write, it's weird cos it really helps me deal with stuff. And when I feel down about something, I can look back to old songs and think "Hmmm this current situation looks awfully similar to what happened in the past, and I'm still alive!!" I guess it's like when you tell someone a problem and they say they've experienced sometihng similar too, it makes you feel better because you don't feel so alone or isolated. But when you're listening to a song yo've written and you're kinda telling yourself you've been through it before, it's like a way of saying "Yep! Been there, done that. You'll be fine. Keep smiling. You'll come out of the other side, just keep putting one foot in front of the other."

No comments:

Post a Comment