Monday, September 22, 2014

Nelue's Album Launch - A Weekend in Madrid!

So it's Monday afternoon now after having spent the weekend in Madrid for Nelue's album launch.

It was a perfect weekend to go - the weather is slightly cooler now (I CANNOT handle HEAT!) and most of the weekend we spent in a town on the outskirts of Madrid in a town called Majadahonda and it was the weekend of the FIESTAS in the town.  This means there were BBQ's in the streets, loads of people, a bull arena (I watched them running into the arena but abstained from the fighting) and basically just lots of partying, drinking and eating.

    (Bull arena in Majadahonda)


There was a giant fairground too with this ride called El Tren de la Bruja which is kind of a kids ride and you are sat in carriage going in a circle (half inside darkness and half outside) and there's people dressed as witches (or other monsters) running around scaring you, hitting you with a broom, jumping on the carriage... I would have LOVED that as a child!

Thursday
I arrived on the Thursday and decided with my basic Spanish and a bit of preparation on Google to find my own way from the airport to the gig venue where we were due to rehearse.  I went to a local bar on the way and had a Caña (its like a VERY small beer!) but it was served in a glass fresh from the freezer.  I met Fernando (Nelue) and the band at Moroder Sound Cloub and we pretty much played through the songs like we'd been practicing together for ages! So that was awesome!

Afterwards I went to a friend's house nearby to have a very late siesta (I'd gotten up quite early to drive to the airport) and then wake up to drink lots of beer, eat pizza with Serrano ham on top (hehe) and talk about the power of positive thinking! lol

Caña con Tapa





























Friday
The day of the gig!  We went to the fiestas in the day time, I ate a GIGANTIC sandwich/bocadillo of Black Pudding (Morcilla).  You can't see but there's also a sandwich to the right with Pancetta - which is a bit like bacon but thicker with lots of (tasty) FAT!  And crispy too! Mmmmm....

Sorry for any veggies reading this! I'll stop with the meat thing now.  It IS Spain though! ;-)



The gig went very well! Lots of people turned up, there was a *brilliant* vibe there.  Lots of people dancing, shouting, enjoying the music, taking photos/videos and then a pretty cool DJ to finish off with in the middle hours of the morning! I played a set to begin with using my APC Controller for the first time - it's like a machine that controls the laptop.

I played 3 new songs; P's & Q's, Purple Steeple and a new one called 20c.  The studio version of this one isn't finished yet but I have a sneaky video preview from Facebook at the bottom of this post.

There was also wonderful artist singing the female songs of Nelue's on the night Yoio Cuesta - La Voz.  She had so much energy dancing on stage and was an inspiration to watch!

Nelue's set went very well and hopefully we'll have some more photos and videos from the night to come soon!

In the mean time, here's some photos of the night on Facebook

And a video of the Nelue's band and me performing his album track "Follow Me'.



Saturday
We didn't wake up till VERY late on Saturday.  But celebrated finally waking by having Broken Eggs with Jamon - its like boiled potatoes with ham and loads egg yolk! And then on Sunday it was back to London!

A great weekend! Nelue's been an absolute pleasure to work with - I feel honoured to be working with such a talent!

And the next gig I play with Nelue is in Bilbao on the 1st November!

No comments:

Post a Comment