Friday, February 9, 2018

Spotify...hmmm

Ok so it looks like I'm doing the Spotify properly thing now after 8 years of coming and going with it... I'm having a free trial month and I'm loving how easy it is to get into new music and re-discover old music. As a musician, I feel like a traitor to my family as I don't get paid anything for my music being played there (I'm not registered with PRS as it costs more per year than the money I would get back).

So I'll still be buying albums from my favourite artists and for smaller artists like myself I'll be buying through Bandcamp as usual, whenever I can.

It's difficult to know when to stop resisting changes like this; at the end of the day, I love getting into new music and I think it's a great tool for that. Also synching my iPhone is the most almighty drama which I need to leave at least an hour free for before a trip, or on a Sunday night before I go back to Barcelona - and I'm tired of it. This way I can continue listening to the same music on my way to the tube, as I was when I was in the house.

I'm a bit sad that this means my music collection is not going to expand quite so much now and my £10 a month goes into a black hole that I don't receive any ownership of any music for, but thats how it is for now.

The music industry is changing all the time at the moment, so we'll see whats next...

No comments:

Post a Comment