Thursday, January 29, 2015

Gig Review - The Library, 28th Jan

Artists played:
Rebecca Vaughan + Mark Noble + Dan Dodson + Web Sheldon + Tim Holehouse + Dusty Awe

Man, I do NOT like January! It's such a cold DARK month! And DRY January is even worse. Although surprisingly easy to fulfil, when I'm not sat in pubs, that is.  This night certainly warmed me up though with a friendly crowd and a great bunch of musicians.

3 days to go before 'Wet February' now.

This is only the second time I've been down to this particular night, hosted by Up All Night Music, but the bar is always packed with people, especially before 10.  I know a lot of musicians prefer to have a smaller attentive crowd rather than a large noisy one - but I would take the latter any day.  We're here to play our music to people, so the more the merrier in my eyes :D Plus, as a performer, it gives you the challenge of trying to get people to listen to you instead of talking. This venue is perfect for that, lots of people in an intimate setting.


Rebecca Vaughan


The first act on was Rebecca Vaughan.  I'd listened to her music before the gig and had a good impression of her beforehand - strong but delicate voice, interesting image (love the photo on the left!) and a good selection of recordings on her Soundcloud.

I was chatting to a girl in the audience later in the night and she mentioned how Rebecca managed the right balance of talking to the crowd vs time playing music, mixed in a few stories and managed to get her personality across too. Agreed! I loved the story about 'being the best wingwoman' that accompanied her song 'Go Get Her'; that got a few laughs in the audience.



Rebecca Vaughan @ The Library, Islington. 28th Jan 2015.
Rebecca will be playing at Indigo at The O2 on Thursday 19th February as she is a finalist in part of The Big Music Project Competition.

You can book free tickets for this event here.
















Mark Noble


Next up was the effervescent Mark Noble! I didn't get chance to chat with Mark during the night which was a shame because he was from Ireland and I could have had the 'I USED TO LIVE IN ATHLOWWWWWWNE' conversation. I met a girl at a gig I was DJing at before Christmas and she was from Ballinasloe, these things seem very random at the time. Mark came across well as an entertainer and was a good laugh on stage, and off-stage as well when he brought the mic stand down into the audience for the last track.


Mark Noble @ The Library, Islington.
Mark Noble @ The Library, Islington.
The highlight for me was the unexpected cover of Britney Spears' 'Baby One More Time' with the audience singing along like we were Britney's/Mark's backing vocals. You can check out Mark's Soundcloud page here.












Dan Dodson


I saw a description of Dan online describing some of his musical influences as Oasis and The Beatles. Despite the set tonight being acoustic, the rock 'n roll element did shine through; from songs about being young and living life to the full through to songs about gritty modern life.  Dan was joined on stage later by his friend, singer writer Dan Elbaz.

He's currently writing and recording an album; I know the last track he played was from his album and is called 'For Those Who Know' and there's going to be lush string arrangements on there according to inside sources*!  *Dan Dodson ahem.

Dan Dodson @ The Library, Islington. 28th Jan 2015.
Dan Dodson + Dan Elbaz @ The Library, Islington. 28th Jan 2015.



Web Sheldon


Next up was MEEE! Hard to say much about myself but if you liked my music, head over to my Facebook Fan Page - I am trying to get 1,000 Likes by the end of the year...the current number is 254. Do it now! :-p

Web Sheldon, live @ a cafe, erm next to lamp.
I was taking a break from my Electronic music last night to play acoustic and so I decided to throw the concept of continuity and 'theme' out of the window by playing songs simply because I enjoyed playing them, inc. a mixture of covers from Joni Mitchell to The Fugees and a few of my own songs as well.

Here's my set list from last night:
WEARENOW (acoustic version of a song from my new EP)
Dressed To Undress (a punky acoustic version of a song I used to play in my old band Mothership)
If It Makes You Happy (Sheryl Crow)
Twisted (Joni Mitchell)
Quizás, Quizás, Quizás (Sara Montiel)
Ready Or Not (The Fugees)

As I can't post any photos of me from last night (not without one of those selfie sticks!), here's a song from my new EP (played live at The Good Ship on 22nd Jan).

Next gig: Weds 4th February @ Dublin Castle, Camden.



Tim Holehouse



Tim Holehouse @ The Library, Islington. 28th Jan 2015.
First of all, let me say FELLOW BEARD BUDDY!

Ok, now that is out of the way, one of the highlights of the evening for me was watching Tim sing his song Broken Bones a capella with the crowd stomping and clapping all the way through.

Very original music, great voice. Thoroughly enjoyed watching this.

And incidentally, Tim is playing in my home town Sheffield on my BIRTHDAY! That's 20th Feb at Shakespeare Pub.

More gigs here.








Here's the official video for his song Broken Bones.




Dusty Awe


The last act of the night was an extended 30 minute set from Danish antifolk artist Dusty Awe.

Dusty Awe live @ The Library, Islington. 28th Jan 2015.
Dusty had a tough job playing at the end of the night where the atmosphere was more than a little merry but he did a good job, explaining a little about Danish culture in between (where talking about Angst and Depression is kind of taboo) and also offering free hugs at the end of the set.

Sadly I forgot to collect my free hug!

His vocals reminded me of Bright Eyes and his melodies a little of Idlewild.

Here's the video for his song Angst.








The Up All Night Music events at The Library will be finishing soon with the last one to be held on Weds 18th February.  It's been going for 4 years now! Fingers crossed that Alex and Donal move to another venue soon!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment