Saturday, May 16, 2015

Cornish Clarity @ Trevedra Farm

I'm lucky in that I've never really felt like I get writer's block; if I'm not feeling a melody, I'll write a rhythm, or I'll have a jam on guitar, or switch to piano or I'll write lyrics..so there's always a spark somewhere to get started and inspire a creative flow...

There's one place where I come to though and it feels like I'm hyper sensitive to both music and words.  When I come to Sennen (Cornwall) it's like there's an abundance of ideas just flying around my head waiting to be plucked from the air.

I was here last year cycling along the cliffs near Land's End and I got an idea to remix one of the Bilamie songs (Nu Slave Crew) - which is the version we have on the album now.  There was another Deeper Interaction remix too - but I'll probably write that as a Web Sheldon song at some point and build on the original 2007 version I wrote.  I came here in 1999 to work and I wrote a gazillion songs on guitar that year.

For the first time in a long time, I didn't bring a guitar this year.  Although I'm regretting that now - there's nothing like sitting on the cliff top overlooking the blue ocean and singing my heart away...or heading down to the beach, on a level with the sea.  I love it that my old guitars have Cornish sand in them!  I have my laptop though, so if there's any quiet moments, I'm turning to the collection of songs I'm putting together at the moment to continue writing and mixing for those.

Cornwall is such an inspiring place.  Tori's always been full of good ideas! Maybe it's because there's less people here, there's so much space!  It feels like the air is clear; if we could imagine invisible clouds of noise, thoughts and clutter in a city - here it's like all that is taken away and it leaves just yourself and your own thoughts... Or maybe it's all a state of mind and I just feel extra comfortable.

I've been coming here since I was a child though and we always stay at Trevedra Farm - which is a campsite in Sennen with a footpath leading down to the beach (very handy! lol)  We arrived on Thursday night and even the smell of the grass and the air was mesmerising!

Sennen, Cornwall






No comments:

Post a Comment