Thursday, February 5, 2015

Gig Review @ Dublin Castle: Desert Sound Colony + Harripaul + Web Sheldon + The Takes + Grace Solero (4th Feb 2015)

I've been looking forward to playing The Dublin Castle ever since I moved to London - I always remembered seeing it on my visits to Camden and the name is pretty memorable too. I found out last night some of my early day heroes have played here too including Blur and Elastica.


Grace Solero & Web Sheldon @ The Dublin Castle, Camden. Weds 4th Feb 2015.
Grace Solero were the first band on last night - a London quartet playing dark rock with crunching guitars. I'll admit to being more a fan of female singers than male (well, thats the definitely the case according to my collection) and despite not listening to a lot of rock recently, a female lead singer in a rock band will always grab my attention.  Grace Solero were solid, passionate and had great stage presence; seeing Grace herself enjoy playing the show, it *almost* made me miss being a lead singer and not having to operate machinery or play instruments on stage, and just sing to heart's content.  I have to make an honourable mention to the awesome mic stand decorations (which I don't have a picture of *sob*) and sparkly silver electric guitar. You can buy their album 'Hundred Years Apart' here.




The Takes were up next! Their Facebook pages cites their influences as bands such as Arctic Monkeys and The Vaccines and I'd say that was a pretty fair description.  I liked the lead singer's vocal style; half talking, half singing sometimes and I enjoyed the melodies the lead guitarist was playing at the same time as the singer - kind of weaving around the melody and fitted nicely with the vocal.








Web Sheldon @ The Dublin Castle, Weds 4th Feb 2015
Next up was MEEEE - Web Sheldon.  I played a new song called 'Flow of Old Man Fate' which I was still writing yesterday morning lol It's going on the EP too - it's got a mixture of atmospherics from ambient synths and dark bass at the beginning through to a hip hop style chorus.  I was trying out a new thing last night where I cover a song by an artist whose birthday it is on the day of the gig.  Bit random.  Yesterday was the first one and it was Natalie Imbruglia's birthday so I covered Torn - which was quite a favourite of mine back in the day!  I love saying 'back in the day', but I always have to follow it up by singing 'hip hop has chaaaaaaaanged'. Ps. Thanks to the dancing girls at the front btw! :D







Harripaul @ The Dublin Castle, Camden. Weds 4th Feb 2015.




Harripaul were next on the bill and deservedly caused a good stir in the audience with their mixture of rock, soul, reggae and flying drum sticks.  I'm totally sold on the reggae style songs with these guys and I'd be well up for a full album like that.  It's so easy to do mediocre reggae, but no chance with these guys, they nailed it.  They had a new sound but still had the familiarity you feel with old classics. Strong and soulful vocal from the lead singer too.

I can't get the Reverbnation widget to work without sending my page crazy but you can listen to a good selection of Harripaul songs and buy their music here.


DSC @ The Dublin Castle, Camden. Weds 4th Feb 2015.




Headliners of the night were DSC (Desert Sound Colony).  I spent a good part of the night hanging out with these guys after the sound check, including a short but very chilly walk to visit the ONLY place to buy Falafel in Camden (King of Falafel).  What a sound set of guys to spend the evening with though! Following many months of rehearsal, last night was their debut gig.  The songs, originally written without a band, have since evolved and re-evolved over time to result in a more live approach to their ambient, psychedelic soundscapes. It's nice to here something a bit different, like these guys are doing - the music reminds me a little of Atlas Sound but more accessible.  You can buy their latest EP here.






And as for me now, I am hungover.  My first hangover since early December.  The pints were ice chilled and definitely hit the spot last night but this is a good reminder of how refreshing Dry January was!

No comments:

Post a Comment