Thursday, June 16, 2016

Artist Feature: Le Foux



So I'm often scouring Soundcloud looking for artists that have either an electronic, alt pop or trip hop kind of theme - something that is related to my own music in some way.  I started following Le Foux a few months ago and I started to notice that new song after new song kept appearing regularly in my Newsfeed.

One problem that I have in making my own music, is making the genre sound consistent.  I'll go from making a Trip Hop track one week to a House track the next and that's not ideal when you're trying to put together an album of coherent material.  Brazilian singer, songwriter & producer, Le Foux does not have that problem though.

He's just published a Playlist of 28 tracks called "Zut Alors" and it's an inspiring collection of 80's influenced Synthpop.  This guy has a good ear for catchy melodies, hooks and synths.  The quality of the songwriting is what stands out for me - there's a lot of ideas, but the songs aren't overcrowded.

It's refreshing to hear an artist making songs that are pure pop and unashamed to embrace the genre.

I asked Le Foux if he'd tell me a little about his musical history and his inspirations...


"I remember getting my friends to organise mini 'music festivals' where we'd all have to come up with original pieces - mind you, no one could play any instruments, so there was a lot of humming going on lol. I was probably 7 then. But I had a very tiny Casio Keyboard I used to perform with, and I still have it somewhere in the flat! I remember I got my first guitar at 12, and had weekly classes until I was 15. I began writing songs then, and probably using the first few chords I learned..(A, E, D).

I grew up listening to my brother's mixtapes in the car - A-ha, Duran Duran, Oingo Boingo, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, Bowie, Tina Turner, Erasure, Cyndi were always there for us. For a long time the melodious aspect of that pop music was enough for my ears. It was only when I heard Madonna's Like a Virgin that it became a challenge to me.  I loved the track instantly and straight away, I was told off for that.  I can vaguely remember someone saying to me that if I knew what Madonna was saying in that song I 
wouldn't try to sing along.






Instead of asking for a translation though I decided to learn English myself (I'm Brazilian, so i'm fluent in Portuguese).  Since then, growing up and making music has always been about speaking of things which make me think.  I believe music should make people think as well as dance. Adding to that, I've managed a degree in Psychology, and my readings of freudian authors like Melanie Klein, Addams, Bion, Winnicott, Ferraz and also of Freud (of course), have definitely helped my self-analysis and been a constant part of the process.

So, I write about what excites me both positive and negatively.

I make music I believe for the same reason everyone else needs/makes music - I need to learn of my freedom so as to free my chaos."



To connect with Le Foux, go to the links below:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lefouxx
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/lefoux
Bandcamp: https://lefouxx.bandcamp.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeFouxxx
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lefoux/
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/113401830938746462087/+LeFoux?pageId=113401830938746462087



A photo posted by Le Foux (@lefoux) on

No comments:

Post a Comment