Wednesday, May 30, 2018

La Isla Bonita (my cover of the classic Madonna song from Fingerprints)


I heard such a bizarre comment once and it’s never left my head.  I was playing a gig and casually chatting to a fellow musician who was also playing the same night and he said to me, “I don't need to cover other people’s songs, I write my own music”.  This sounded like a foreign language to me.  I LOVE covering other people’s songs.  To take something I already like, crafted by someone else and trying to make it my own.  Putting in your own emotion, your own story, your own twist into it.





I remember listening to La Isla Bonita when I was as young as 5 years old on the radio and thinking how different it sounded to the other songs I was used to hearing.  I loved the soft voices in the background, the Spanish sounding guitar and interesting rhythms.  I’ve tried take the idea of those elements I originally loved, and apply them in my own way with this cover; keeping an emphasis on the vocals and the rhythms too by adding a modern day Hispanic style reggaetón influenced beat.


La Isla Bonita was written by Madonna Ciccone, Bruce Gaitsch and Patrick Leonard.  Copywrite Wb Music Corp. O/B/O Edge Of Fluke Music, Wb Music Corp and EMI Blackwood Music Inc.

This version is performed, recorded and produced by Web Sheldon.  Mastered by Dave at Dragonfly Studios, Bristol.


No comments:

Post a Comment