Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The most personal song on Fingerprints, 'Love & War'

The 8th Track from Fingerprints is called 'Love & War'.  I wasn't going to write much explanation about this song due to it being so personal - but then I changed my mind...

Some couples don't really argue.  Some argue loads and love it.  The couple I'm singing about in this song used to argue incessantly.  And I did NOT enjoy it.

This guy wanted to control things like which friends I could see, where I could go and which clothes I could wear.  And I was not exactly a party animal at the time.

It started when we were about 8 months into the relationship.  I was pretty stubborn and for the most part I refused to give in to his demands.  But in order to stand my ground, it meant going through an argument.  Every time.  And understandably some days, you don't have the energy for an argument so you give in - and you stay at home instead.

And every time you do that, you've lost another piece of freedom that will be much harder to fight for next time.  At some points, it seemed like I could never relax because I knew another argument was just around the corner - the kind of thing that leaves you feeling drained.

I walked away from it in the end a stronger person, but also a little disappointed in myself for letting it go on for so long.  I tried too hard to make it work but it's very difficult to look at things objectively when you are in the middle of them.

I'm pretty sure he won't ever read this as we made a pretty clean break back in the day... but if he does, I hope he's found someone better matched to him now.




Love & War:

You had good intentions
Don’t get me wrong
Every song I wrote was cos I wanted to do
Well, almost every song

But you didn’t mention
The beast that could wake up
Roaring fire and scorn
Till the morning

I only wanted a little fun, man
What you gone done, bang
I let myself fall
Putting ideas in my head man
Something like love but
More like war

Something like love but
More like war

I had no intention
But we came through
Everything was like a dream
Till I had friends without you

And I still believed it
I couldn’t see that
Honeymoon and carefree days
Were gone

I only wanted a little fun, man
What you gone done, bang
I let myself fall
Putting ideas in my head man
Something like love but
More like war

No hard feelings
Now it’s all in the past
I left you in the battlefield (my bad)
The oldest story in the book of life
Blinded by love till you fall out of love
You always said I was selfish
With my western state of mind
But I don’t believe I was selfish now
I gave you two years of my life

I only wanted a little fun, man
What you gone done, bang
I let myself fall
Putting ideas in my head man
Something like love but
More like war


Love & War was written, performed, recorded and produced by Web Sheldon.  Mastered by Dave at Dragonfly Studios, Bristol.



No comments:

Post a Comment